Monday, June 21, 2010

Go, My Favorite Sports Team, Go! 1st Edition

I’ve gotten a multitude of inquiries over the past 3 years as to why I have such a broad range of teams that I support. With every new Twitter follower I get, the question comes again, “How did you become a Mets fan? How do you follow so many different sports? Who’s your favorite? What do you do when these teams play each other?” My dear Twitter friend, @citycynic, told me one day that it would be interesting to write a blog about how I keep up with all of my teams. What better way to put the information out there? I took his suggestion, and here entails the story of my life as a sports fan.

Baseball.

The top of my list, the cream of the crop, my true favorite sport. As a child, football was always my cup of tea. It was easy for me to understand, and I could run around the house at two years old, throwing my arms up in the air yelling, “TOUCHDOWN!” I also believed Boomer Esiason was my boyfriend for quite a few years, but that’s a story for another time. Baseball holds a special place in my heart. Don’t get me wrong; I love football. But there’s something about the game, something about the history of baseball that touches me in ways that football cannot. The sounds, the smells, the stories; it envelopes me. Now here’s the fun part.

The Cincinnati Reds. Where professional baseball all began. How could I not have an appreciation for the team that helped to influence the start of what would become an integral part of my life, and hopefully career? I was born and raised in Cincinnati, which is also where I currently reside. I will always, and I mean always, root for my home team. I go to countless games a year and I travel to see them on the road (nine times this season.) There is nothing that could ever come between me and the Reds. I eat, sleep, and breathe Cincinnati baseball. I bleed Reds. If it’s the Big Red Machine, 4,192, Crosley Field, or Barry Larkin, I know it, and I love it.

The New York Mets. Here’s where people start to get confused.

“Aren’t you supposed to have one National League team and one American League team?”

In my world? Never.

The New York Mets are a second love, and very near and dear to my heart. How did I fall in love with such a team, you ask? It’s all in the history. I learned, heard, and read enough about the Mets to wish I lived in the 1960s. I also wish I lived in New York. I feel at home in the big city. I’m a true sucker for an underdog story. The 1960s Mets are a relatable team. They were human; they made mistakes, and in the end they rose above. During a time when New York baseball was immortal, when the players were untouchable, a team arose out of nowhere that people could stand behind and say, “Hey, they’re like me.”

My love for them comes along with my love for one of my favorites to ever play the game; Nolan Ryan. He started his career in New York and made his one and only appearance in the World Series as a Met. If you’re reading this, I’m assuming I shouldn’t have to explain Nolan Ryan; I’m going to assume you already know.

Historically, I know and love plenty about Nolan Ryan, and about the Mets. But why do I love the Mets today? Mike Piazza. I firmly believe that I am not the only person who fell in love with the Mets due in large part to Mike Piazza. I can define my love for the Mets getting stronger through time and section it by labeling the eras as before, during, and after Piazza, although he has never truly left in the hearts of diehards. He is an admirable guy, one hell of a ball player, and a Mets legend.

“What do you do when the teams play each other?”

I root for the Reds, plain and simple. I hate to watch either team lose, and I hate to have to watch them play each other. I love to have both of my teams in the same place at the same time, but ultimately, someone gets the number in the loss column. I will never turn my back on the Reds. I can also never deck myself out in Mets gear and walk into Great American Ball Park. I would feel I have done wrong to the team who sparked my love for the sport, and to my hometown. I know I don’t get to see them very often, but it’s no excuse for me to don Mets garb and root against the Reds. I can also never boo the Mets, and not at least clap for a home run. It gets complicated, but I love and support them both the best ways I know how.

The Texas Rangers. This is a newly acquired team for me. By newly, I mean in the last four years or so. The Rangers have one of those teams that have the dynamic guys I’m drawn to. The kicker is that they have so many players I like, I cannot not support them. I have always been a big Ian Kinsler fan, and when he made his debut in 2006, I couldn’t help but follow along. I’ve followed Saltalamacchia around for a while as well (yes, I know he was a Brave) but he had a very short stint there in the Majors, and I was delighted to see him traded to the Rangers. The “kids” coming up in the farm system right now I am continually amazed by, and you best believe I will see them through to the Bigs.

Another reason, and no one should be surprised by this one; Nolan Ryan. Notice a pattern?

Last, but absolutely and definitely not least, Josh Hamilton. I am without a doubt an unabashed and unashamed Josh Hamilton fan. If you know me, you know that I have his bobblehead, two player tees, and three jerseys. I have two hats with his number on it, a Josh Hamilton “Faith Day” wristband from 2007, and the Hamilton Home Run Derby Spectacular recorded; I have read his book and suggest it to everyone, and I have traveled to see him play every year since he left Cincinnati. I can proudly say I knew who he was before the Home Run Derby. Hell, I can say I knew who he was before he came to Cincinnati. I remember walking into U.S. Cellular Field in my Hamilton tee and have someone ask me who he was and where he came from because until the Derby, he was unknown to them. I wish I had a photo of the look on my face when I sat down on my couch and saw he was being traded to Texas. From that moment on, my Rangers fandom went from a side fling with an AL team to an obligation; a willing one. I will follow Josh Hamilton wherever he goes. (God forbid he ever becomes a Cub, a Philly, or a Yankee. Knocking on wood now.) Side note; I will still follow the Rangers after he is gone.

The Boston Red Sox. My first love in the American League, and it’s all in the history. The curse, the struggle, and the city itself. I love it all. I had followed lightly up until the 2004 season; and then I was hooked. This is one team allegiance that I don’t talk about a lot; that I don’t throw out a lot of input. It’s like my undercover affair. I talk about it from time to time, but I don’t call out after every win. I also love Kevin Youkilis, a product of my soon-to-be Alma Mater, and a Cincinnati native. I am in love with the Red Sox culture and the fans, and I downright dislike the Yankees. I recently saw the Red Sox play for only the second time in my life; the first being a GABP, and now at Camden Yards. It was near to being a home game for Boston, and it was incredible to be surrounded by people who live Red Sox baseball, and are completely into the game. The Red Sox game wasn’t just a thing to do, it was what they do.

Miscellaneous. I’m a baseball fan in general, not just a fan of one team, and that’s all I care pay attention to. Since I follow along, and keep up with most everything that’s happening, it’s natural that I have affinities for teams all over the place, and in particular, one in each division. Some I can explain, some I can’t.

NL West – The San Francisco Giants. I love Brian Wilson, I love Tim Lincecum, Jonathan Sanchez, and Barry Zito, and now I’m hooked on Buster Posey. I’ve never even been to the stadium (but believe me I’ll get there,) and man I love that too.

AL Central – The Minnesota Twins. Mauer, Morneau, and mixture of a bunch of scratching my head as to why I always root for them to win.

AL East – If it’s not the Red Sox, which it nearly always is, it’s the Tampa Bay Rays. The originator of Josh Hamilton in Major League Baseball, and a small-market team like my beloved Reds that’s getting it done.

There you have it, baseball nuts. I pledge allegiance, to my teams, from the Bay Area to the Statue of Liberty, and everywhere in between. I can summarize, and condense this in a nutshell, but after the endless questions, I decided to put it out there to the world. My life as a baseball fanatic.

2 comments:

Steven S said...

Now we know! Living in San Diego during the Tony Gwynn days I cheered for the Pads, but each day I cared and checked the standings for one team: Cincy. As I mildly cheered for the Padres I could never develop an emotional vibe towards their real success, only my home town teams could move me, but your passion for the game transcends us needing to relate or understand. Thanks for sharing!

Elise Lotz said...

You are very welcome! I don't think I could ever love a team mroe than I do the Reds. Something about your hometown always stays with you.