Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rounding Third and Heading Back Home

It’s 2007. I’m working my first job at Lids, being a reckless college freshman, making some of the worst decisions I have ever had the misfortune of making. I am a bad judge of character, and trying to figure out what to do with my life. Fast forward. I’m preparing to begin my senior year and finish my degree at the University of Cincinnati, I work at one of the best restaurants in the city, I’m a Cincinnati Reds intern, I have a great sense of self, and I’m with the one guy I have no idea how I ever lived without.

Talk about a 180 spin on your life. I didn’t even notice all of these things happened. All I know is I look back now, and have no idea who I was back then and I owe a lot of that to the experiences I’ve had in the last year. From getting compliments from professionals, to getting my first gig as a photographer for GoBearcats.com, to working alongside the professionals with a Major League Baseball team. The last year has been a whirlwind, and one of the busiest and most stressful years of my life, and I couldn’t be more thankful for that.

In the late winter, early spring of 2010, I received a direct message from Michael Anderson, an employee in the public relations department at the Cincinnati Reds. We had followed each other on Twitter for a few months, and he told me that they had an internship for an editorial intern open for 2010, and that I should check it out. There was no way I was going to let the offer pass by. I immediately updated my resume, popped out a cover letter, and emailed it over to both Michael Anderson and to John Hale, the head of the human resources department. I waited anxiously for a phone call for a number of weeks, nervous and praying that this opportunity would come my way. All the time that I endured between sending in the resume and the phone call I was hoping for, my boyfriend, Dylan, and one of my best friends, Marty Siry, kept my spirits up and reassured me that I’d be perfect for this and that there’s no way I don’t deserve it.

The phone finally rang.

“Hi Elise, this is John Hale with the Cincinnati Reds. I wanted to let you know that I received your resume, and I wanted to know when you may be available for an interview.”

My dad was the only person home at the time, and I was jumping around my living room like I had won the lottery. He stared at me like I was absolutely insane, but he knew who was on the other end of the phone.

I accepted, and a week later I showed up for the interview. I felt confident in my abilities, and I’ve never been a nervous interviewee. (This was my first real interview, in relation to a job. I wouldn’t say my interview at Lids actually counted.)

About a week later, I received another call from Mr. John Hale, this time to offer me the position. I was relieved, I was elated, and I had no idea what to do with myself. I went out that night with some of my closest friends to celebrate and have a few drinks. I was on cloud nine.

I remember the first day I came to work at the Reds front office. I was so nervous and I had no idea what to expect. My supervisor, and managing editor, Jarrod Rollins, took me under his wing and made me feel comfortable. I was given my own cubicle, and I got down to work. Before I go on, I’ll tell you this; the image you have engrained in your head as to what an intern does, was nothing like my experience. I wasn’t getting anyone’s coffee, I wasn’t running errands, and I wasn’t treated as an “intern.” I immediately became a member of the Creative Services department. Within a week, I was working to complete my first feature story for Reds Magazine on Nick Masset and Arthur Rhodes. The great thing about writing these pieces was that I had free creative reign over everything I did. There was no, “This is the piece. This is who I want you to do it on. This is how I want you to do it.” They put their trust in me and had enough confidence in my writing abilities, that they could give me a player and a slight direction, and I could whip something up worthy of publishing for thousands of people to read.

Before I knew it, I was writing promotional pieces, calling players’ agents, and taking photographs at the open batting practice before Opening Day. I was really doing it. I was exactly where I had always wanted to be, doing exactly what I had dreamt of doing, and my hard work got me there.

Over time, I was assigned to photograph events in the Fan Zone, player meet and greets in the Reds Hall of Fame and on the field, I took the photos for the group brochures, first pitches, on-field ceremonies, the works. This experience definitely put my photographic skills to the test. I had never done event photography before, and I am very proud at how all of it turned out.

I was fully prepared to begin writing for the second edition of Reds Magazine and they assigned me my favorite piece of the entire 2010 season; a profile on the very talented, Mike Leake. Not only was I to write a story about him, I was to interview him. (Yes, I still have the audio from the interview on my recorder and my laptop.) I had the pleasure of not only figuring out what he’s about during this interview, but this opened the doors for the rest of the season for me to truly get to know who he is. This was the most easy-going interview I have ever done. We’re two months into the season, he’s the new kid on the block, I’m fairly new to interviewing professional athletes, and I was completely at ease. (Interviewing someone the same age as me, born and raised on the west coast makes for a good atmosphere.)

Needless to say, I was very happy with the story that came out, and with the second piece I wrote for that issue, an opposing player spotlight on Lance Berkman. I began writing more pieces for the Reds after that. I wrote player profiles for the Cincinnati Herald, our African-American newspaper. I wrote event pieces and e-newsletters.

For the third installment of Reds Magazine, I was assigned the cover feature, a piece on Brandon Phillips and how he plays the game his way. I think everyone knows this has a bit more meaning now than it did then, but this was after the events of the series in D.C., with his chest pounding “controversy.” I was beyond excited to have the cover story, and to write my first piece that had more of a personal touch to it, rather than just a profile. I was always giddy when they’d place a new edition on my desk. To see it finished, in print, with photos and my name underneath was more than I could have ever imagined. I made sure to always send my grandmother in North Carolina a copy, which she would then take around the town to show everyone what her granddaughter did, bless her heart.

I have just finished my final piece for the last issue of Reds Magazine, which focuses on the strength of the club’s young pitching, and an opposing player spotlight on Corey Hart. The issue will be out soon, so keep on the lookout for my feature titled “Armed and Dangerous.”

This experience has exceeded my expectations. I never in a million years imagined I would be sitting at my own cubicle in the Cincinnati Reds front office. I never thought any of this would happen for me, and it has. I’ve met some of the best people and made some great contacts: my supervisor Jarrod Rollins, Michael Anderson, Jamie Ramsey, the current players, various employees of local news stations, and some of the greatest Reds to have ever played the game.

I’ve endured mocking and teasing by Brandon Phillips and Tom Browning, I’ve personally been given Eric Davis’ email address so I could send the photos I’ve taken of him, I’ve photographed a kid’s dream coming true as he met Jay Bruce and played toss with him on the field, I’ve had Billy Hatcher teach me how to stay cool in 95 degree heat (it’s all in your head,) and I’ve had the pleasure of interviewing and getting to know Mike Leake multiple times. I’ve had a Cincinnati Enquirer photographer talk to me about job experiences and opportunities, and even use his camera for a bit. I’ve seen my name published by a Major League organization, spent time in the dugout with the New York Mets and various other teams and interacted with their players, and I have spent my summer working with the Reds during one of the best seasons the club has had in a decade.

This was much more than a resume builder for me. This was an experience of a lifetime. I can say, if I never get to do this again, that for a period of my life I was doing everything I had ever dreamt of doing. I was taking photos of and writing pieces on America’s pastime and the best game to have ever been played. Where do I go from here? I told myself to dream big, I did, and this is where it has gotten me. I guess it’s time to dream bigger.

No comments: